Caramelized Vegetable and Meatball Soup
A hearty, nutritious soup for those cold winter nights. Make extra and freeze. Substitute veggies and protein as you like.
- 1 small peeled, seeded butternut squash
- 1-2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 2 carrots
- 2 large parsnips, peeled
- 10 to 15 garlic cloves, peeled, cut if extra large into medium pieces
- olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef or buffalo, can also use turkey, chicken or lamb
- 1 onion, cut into medium chunks
- 2 quarts chicken or beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp of herbs of choice, I like a mix of dried thyme and rosemary, divided
- ½ tsp paprika
Make the meatballs: With wet hands, mix meat, salt, pepper and half of herb mix in a bowl. If too wet add bread or cracker crumbs until you can roll the mixture into small, bite size balls. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of a half hour.
Preheat oven to 425. Cut squash, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onion and parsnips into small, bite size pieces. Put in a bowl, toss with olive oil and remaining herbs and spread out in a single layer, leaving as much room as possible around the pieces. Roast vegetables on lower rack about 30 minutes or so, or until browned underneath and tender.
Add stock to a large soup pan with roasted veggies. Bring to a simmer and add meatballs. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with some grated parmesan and a crusty bread.