Panzanella – Italian Bread Salad
- ½ loaf of Italian or rustic bread, somewhat stale is ok, rock hard isn’t. Cut into bite size cubes and toast in oven at 350 until crisp.
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup diced feta or mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup drained, pitted, chopped Kalamata olives or whatever variety you like
- 1 15oz can of drained and rinsed white beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
Additional herbs of choice – I like parsley, marjoram and dill or fennel
Dressing – recipe follows
In a large salad bowl combine ingredients except for cheese and dressing. Toss lightly; add enough dressing to lightly coat, plate the salad and top with cheese.
*You can add whatever fresh veggies you have on hand; green beans, pea pods, peppers, roasted zucchini or eggplant, carrots or avocado. Cut into bite size pieces and add to the salad before tossing.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Dash of Dijon mustard
Whisk or shake in a covered glass jar until well blended.