Beet, Feta and Blood Orange Salad
- 4 small to medium beets roasted, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 blood oranges regular oranges will also work.
- 3 ounces crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Cilantro garnish optional
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon champagne or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Roast the beets by rubbing with olive oil, sprinkling with salt, and enclosing them in aluminum foil. Bake until tender, about an hour, at 375. Cool and rub the peel off with a paper towel. You can also steam the beets until tender, about 15 minutes, though I find the roasted more flavorful.
Cut the beets into easy to eat slivers. Peel the oranges, removing as much of the white pith as possible to reduce bitterness. Separate into individual sections.
Add the oranges to the beets, add the dressing, gently tossing to coat, top with the cheese and garnish with cilantro.
In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the vinegar and honey. Whisk in the olive oil until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.